[racktables-users] Re: define devices from entity mib

  • From: "Aaron Dummer" <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Nikolay Shopik" <shopik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:29:32 -0500

So I'm just wondering why RT require to have manually defined device
parameters in code, to make snmp stuff work? Why entity mib (rfc4133)
can't be used for that, well at least for devices which properly support
it.
And this is especially should work perfectly with ENTITY support for
modular device (which isn't yet implement AFAIK).

Nikolay,

I wrote a patch which uses ENTITY-MIB to discover modular devices. Right now it only supports two switches - a Cisco Catalyst and an HP ProCurve. It creates an object to represent the chassis and additional child objects to represent each blade.

It could be extended to support stackable switches, as most of them use ENTITY-MIB. In that case, a virtual object would represent the management interface, and each physical switch would be a child object.

The plan is to introduce such functionality sometime after 0.20 has been released.

--
Aaron Dummer