[racktables-users] Re: Fiber Patchpanel

  • From: Maximilian Mensing <Maximilian.Mensing@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 14:21:31 +0000

Yeah.. Thats possible.. We do this sometimes..
Here is what you need to do:
At enabled Port types, add a port to hardwired. Staying with LC-MM this would
look like this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13800553/Enabled%20port%20types.jpg .

Now you have to tell rack tables which ports this can be linked to at  'Port
compatibility’.
Here you can create a rule for every port type you want to link with another,
but you always have to do it in both Directions:
For example: From Interface        ‘LC-MM’ to interface ‘LC-MM Male’    AND
‘LC-MM Male’ to interface ‘LC-MM’
Here is a little screenshot where you can see both sides:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13800553/Port%20compatibility.jpg

Cheers,
Max

Von: "tormod.hope@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:tormod.hope@xxxxxxxxxxx>"
<tormod.hope@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:tormod.hope@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
Antworten an:
"racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Datum: Thursday 17 July 2014 15:18
An: "racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Betreff: [racktables-users] Re: Fiber Patchpanel

Yes, we use the linkmgmt plugin. And for all our copper panels all the backend
ports are connected.

The LC-MM you use you have created yourself right? I cant find that one
anywhere.
I did create something simular, and added it to both SFP+ and SFP in "Enabled
port types". But dont know if that is the correct way to do it?

Btw, thanks for the backend link script. I'll use that for connecting
everything when i get the ports configured.

Mvh/Best regards

Tormod Hope
IT Consulting Engineer
Eidesvik AS

Phone               : +47 53 44 80 83
Switchboard         : +47 53 44 80 00
Mobile              : +47 930 60 727

E-mail              : tormod.hope@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:tormod.hope@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Homepage            : www.eidesvik.no

As a part of ourblue:Epolicy:  Please consider the environment before printing
this e-mail notice

Confidentiality and Disclaimer notice
The information contained in this e-mail is intended solely for the use of the
addressee and it is sent in the strictest confidence, and may contain legally
privileged information. If you have received this e-mail in error you must
preserve its confidentiality, and immediately advise the sender. Should you
have received this communication in error, please note that making use of the
information, forwarding it, copying it, or in any way disclosing its content to
any other person, is strictly prohibited. It is the sole responsibility of the
addressee to scan this e-mail and any attachments for computer viruses or other
defects. The sender does not accept liability for any loss or damage of any
nature, however caused, which may result directly or indirectly from this
e-mail or any file attached. This e-mail may not necessarily reflect the views
or intentions of  Eidesvik Offshore ASA or its subsidiaries, who therefore does
not accept any liability whatsoever for any claims, loss or damages of
whatsoever nature, arising directly or indirectly, as a result of the reliance
on such information by anyone. Unless the intention to contract has been
expressly manifested in this message by a duly authorized representative of the
company, this message shall not be construed as a solicitation to contract nor
an offer or acceptance of any contractual obligations.

From:        Maximilian Mensing
<Maximilian.Mensing@xxxxxxxx<mailto:Maximilian.Mensing@xxxxxxxx>>
To:
Date:        17.07.2014 15:00
Subject:        [racktables-users] Re: Fiber Patchpanel
Sent by:
racktables-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:racktables-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
________________________________

Hi Tormod,

I’d recommend to simply set it up by the cables and plugs you are using, since
the speed may change depending on the SFPs you use . For example if you are
using MultiMode Fibres with LC plugs simply choose ‘LC-MM’

Heres a little example of our workflow:
Set up 2 Patchpanels, for Multimode fibres with LC Plugs, looking like this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13800553/mmpp_ports.jpg

To be able to do proper cabling, you need to setup the LinkManagement Plugin:
https://github.com/RackTables/racktables-contribs/blob/5d7be9a30edaa94d9516c9120c3991e388ab09d9/linkmgmt.php
 )

To link the Patchpanels' Backend Ports we are using the mass-cableing plugin
which I’ve uploaded here for you:
https://github.com/madmax2012/racktables_testing/blob/master/mass_cableing.php
Just type in the Ports you want to link following the scheme:
“Device 1 Name”,”Port Number","Device 2 Name”,”Device 2 Port Number","Device 1
Porttype","Device 2 Porttype”
Porttype 336 is for backend Ports, Porttype 0 for Frontend.

To link the backend ports of 2 Patchpanels, it will look like this:

"MMPP1","P0","MMPP2","P0","336","336"
"MMPP1","P1","MMPP2","P1","336","336"
"MMPP1","P2","MMPP2","P2","336","336"
"MMPP1","P3","MMPP2","P3","336","336"
"MMPP1","P4","MMPP2","P4","336","336"
"MMPP1","P5","MMPP2","P5","336","336"
"MMPP1","P6","MMPP2","P6","336","336"
"MMPP1","P7","MMPP2","P7","336","336"
"MMPP1","P8","MMPP2","P8","336","336"
"MMPP1","P9","MMPP2","P9","336",”336"

Once you are fineshed seting-up and linking the Patchpanels, they will look
like this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13800553/mmpp1_2_linked.jpg

Mass cabling is still under development, but it shouldn’t contain any serious
bugs. It has not been tested yet under RackTables 0.20.8,  but it should work
anyway.
The link management for Racktables 0.20.8 is here:
https://github.com/RackTables/racktables-contribs/blob/master/linkmgmt.php

I hope this helps :)

Cheers,
Max

Von: "tormod.hope@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:tormod.hope@xxxxxxxxxxx>"
Datum: Thursday 17 July 2014 13:28
An: "racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Betreff: [racktables-users] Fiber Patchpanel

When i setup a fiber patchpanel, i dont know yet if the port will transer 10GB
or 1GB. How have you guys solved this?
I must choose between empty SFP+ og empty SFP.. And if that changes i have to
delete the port and create a new with the correct setting...

Any idea how to fix that?

It should be a choice for "inherit" and the patchpanel port inherited the port
that it was connected to.. Or any for for "any", that allowed for connection to
everything..

Mvh/Best regards

Tormod Hope

Von: "tormod.hope@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:tormod.hope@xxxxxxxxxxx>"