[racktables-users] Defining a new class of object

  • From: Alister Forbes <aforbes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:09:01 +0200

Hi all,

I've been picking over a problem for a day or so, and want to see if there's an
easy solution I'm missing.

The set up in our lab, is that we have normal racks, with patch panels at the
top of the racks, which are linked to a MFP (big inter-rack patch panel) on the
back wall of our comms room.  I'm trying to create some system of modeling
patches inside racktables.  Ie, and object that has an input, an output, and
internal patching.

E.g.

inbound object : inbound port : inbound internal : outbound internal : remote
object : remote port

inbound object/port is the machine port from this rack,
inbound/outbound internal allows the connection to be mapped to another patch
panel.
remote object/report: probably another patch panel, but may be ther machine and
port it finally links to.

First question:  does this make sense, do people see what I'm trying to do?

Second question:  Is this possible? Can I somehow create a new object type?
Thirs question:  Has someone already solved this in another manner?

Cheers
Alister