[racktables-users] Re: Adding a feature to Racktables

  • From: Curtis Brown <curtis.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:37:43 -0600

On Thu, 2012 Apr 26, 10:04:05 (-0500), Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 5:17 PM,  <curtis.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm looking at trying my hand at adding a feature to racktables:
> >>
> >> I would like to add power consumption estimation and power provisioning
> >> (weighing up ups deliverable against draw) data
> >
> > Sorry for the late reply. Long ago, I had mudslung something crude
> > together. My script requires an attribute called "Wattage consuption" to
> > each type of object worthy of needing it (servers, diskarrays, etc) and
> > then going back to the individual objects that we could find that statistic
> > on and populate the field. I don't know if it might be of use, but you're
> > welcome to pick pieces out of it or mold it to fit your needs. HTH
>
> That looks great, but is there any way to track the connections when
> you have multiple PDU's per rack?  (This can get especially tricky
> when you have equipment with dual power supplies and you don't want to
> overload either side if it draws the full amount).

Almost all of our equipment has dual power supplies. When we build up racks, we
have those zero-U PDUs on each side of the rack. One power supply is connected
to one PDU, the other power supply to the other PDU. Now, in /our/ datacenter,
we have multiple electrical rails that span the row to plug the PDUs into. For
our purposes of load balancing between rails, we only need the granularity down
to the rack level.

If I understand what you're looking for, instead of listing racks, then perhaps
presenting a tree-like structure would be more appropriate, because you'll have
PDUs plugged into PDUs plugged into..., and so forth. Create an HTMLized tree
of clickable PDUs on one side of the screen. Clicking on a PDU will list the
downstream power usages on the other side of the screen. It sounds interesting.

--
Curtis Brown, unix system administrator        For general PC questions,
Academic Computing and Networking Services     call: 970-491-7276