[racdba] Re: Multiple Virtual IP Addresses in 10g RAC on Linux

  • From: Sudhi <sudhi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:56:13 +0530

Jeff,

To change the interconnect/public IP in a 10g RAC env, use the $ORA_CRS_HOME/bin/oifcfg for it. This is the interface configuration tool given out by Oracle.

Thanks,
-Sudhi.

K Gopalakrishnan wrote:
Jeff, Forwarding to subject matter experts,

Sudhi: Can you please help Jeff in fixing his Virtual IP issue. He would like
to have VIP for Linux and seems already have one IP setup and
running..

Thanks
Gopal

On 7/22/05, Dubovecky, Jeffrey P <jpdubovecky@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thank you for the response, it is appreciated.

I wanted to do a personal follow-up to understand better since my knowledge
of networking is basic and to keep traffic off the freelist.  We're running
RH 3.0 Update 4 so I'm asssuming this is possible.  I was not sure if I
could bond two NICS with separate subnets together, but from your response
this is possible.

So if we configure the bonding module for the 118 and 119 subnets into one
single logical interface (e.g. bond0), from your response below we could
make the Virtual IP to use different subnet (e.g. 120) address.  This also
implies that if I lose a NIC (e.g. NIC on the 118 subnet) or the entire 118
network, everything should still be working fine.  Are these two assumptions
correct?

One other question, when reconfiguring the Virtual IPs, what is the best way
to change the virtual IPs since I already have them configured in the
system.  I have two metalink docs 285046.1 and 283684.1 that I'm
referencing, but both docs seem to perform the task differently.

Thanks JPD