[racattack] Re: Solaris x86 version

  • From: Yury Velikanov <j.velikanovs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racattack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 07:18:37 +1100

>> Maybe we can even go for a "hybrid" model

I think in an ideal world it could be a good vision. However I would like
to be practical here and vote against that option.

Here is why:
- 90% of the RAC Attack content is describing how to prepare an
infrastructure for RAC installation.
- most of it is How to configure on OS
- if you try to do a hybrid doc for several OSes you end up with a big mess

I understand the Solaris supporters and think we should support the
initiative. However it should be an experimental activity under a
completely separate branch until it is mature enough to be treated as one
of the mainstream versions. The same way we put RAC Attack 12c. For some
time it was an experimental "could we do it" type of activity, until we all
agree it is ready for the mainstream.

Therefore my suggestion is to keep it in a separate space and do not
integrate it to the exist version as a an equal to Linux. Solaris version
certainly can reference parts to be shared to avoid efforts duplication.
However I don't see many parts to be shared between two versions. BTW: I am
ready to take it back if life proof me to be wrong :)

Looking forward to meet many of you at Collaborate!

Yury