[ql06] TORT: Bush war on medical tort awards

  • From: "Ken Campbell -- LAW'06" <2kc16@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ql06@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:21:43 -0400

From article:

   These include overhauling Medicare and reforming the tort
   system. In addition, Bush wants to cap medical malpractice
   claims that are unrelated to economic damages.

How these caps make the _economy_ "stronger" -- except for making
malpractice and human suffering cheaper -- I don't know. As I stand on
this right now, I'd probably take a case-by-case approach. GDP
manipulation isn't aided by med torts restrictions, is it?

Ken.

-
It is astonishing what you can do when you have a lot of
energy, ambition and plenty of ignorance.
          -- Alfred P. Sloan Jr.

--- cut here ---

White House: GDP Data Show Economy Is Strengthening

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
September 26, 2003 11:25 a.m.

WASHINGTON -- The Bush administration Friday cited the latest gross
domestic product figures as evidence the economy is strengthening.

"The economy is continuing to move in the right direction...but there is
more to do," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

"We have to create an environment for job creation," he added.

President George W. Bush has proposed a number of steps to make the
economy stronger that are directly connected to fiscal policy. These
include overhauling Medicare and reforming the tort system. In addition,
Bush wants to cap medical malpractice claims that are unrelated to
economic damages.

Earlier in the day, the Commerce Department revised its estimate of the
growth in the economy in the second quarter. The Commerce Department
said it now believes the economy expanded at a 3.3% annualized rate
rather than the 3.1% rate it originally reported.

Economists welcomed the news, saying it means the third quarter will
probably be stronger than previously expected.

-By Alex Keto, Dow Jones Newswires; 202-862-9256; Alex.Keto@xxxxxxxxxxxx