[ql06] Inaugural post to "QL06 NEWS"

  • From: "Ken Campbell -- LAW'06" <2kc16@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ql06@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 04:00:18 -0400

Hi there!

Thanks for the interest in QL06 World News List!

Okay, so we're now underway, after some administrative maneuvers, and
falling asleep at 6:30 pm last night -- sheesh. (NOTE to self: Get
circadian rhythms back in whack. Get circadian rhythms back in whack.
Get circadian rhythms back in whack.)

Right now, there are 5 of us -- plus two profs would like in. I don't
think we should do that right at this stage yet. And not without your
input. (We'll deal with that later.)

The instructions for unsubing will be included at the bottom of the FAQ,
which is only a draft right now. So if you want to unsub, just write me
directly.

NOTE: I will open up with a few news items, to give you an idea of what
posts should look like or deal with. Some days will have more posts than
others.

Again, you don't have to read them all. Good journalists usually write
in an "inverted pyramid" style -- trying to pack the lead paragraph with
as much overview as possible, then slowly narrowing the focus toward the
end. That's done for two reasons:

  1) It helps the reader scan items faster. Studies
     show most people read the headline, then if still
     interested, the lead. Then, only those with
     particular interest read for details.

  2) It helps the editor in the layout of the paper.
     They can chop story length with little
     repercussions for coherency, since the meaning
     and broad understanding of the story are still in
     the top.

Ken

--
If you are going through hell, keep going.
          -- Winston Churchill

PART I: What QL06 World News Is About

I know in the very first email about this idea to the Queen's Law "Big
List" I said I wanted to have several sublists around primary subjects.

For now, we'll start with one, a "general" one. Eventually, if it
expands enough over the three years, it will split into different
subjects.

Soooooo... at this point, "QL06 News" deals with any news stories/items
we find in the global press that deal with those subjects we are all so
currently enamored of in Queen's Law 06. I have regular sources I read
daily from around the world, to give a richer perspective. Regular news
scans for me (a little less regular since classes began, lemme tell ya!)
are:

  Dailies
    (Can) Globe & Mail/Toronto Star/National Post
    (USA) New York Times/Washington Post/LA Times
    (UK) The Guardian/The Independent
    (Biz) Wall Street Journal/Financial Times (London)

  Periodicals
    (Pol) Ottawa Hill Times
    (Aca) Various scholarly publications
    (Econ) Barron's/Economist
    (News) Macleans/Harper's

  Broadcast media
    (TV) BBC News/CBC/CNN
    (Radio) CBC/Pacifica

  Newswires
    Reuters/AP/Bloomberg/etc.

(You don't have to contribute news stories if you don't have time; you
don't even have to read them! Either scan and delete, file away, filter
to a side directory in your email program, or delete-on-sight. But the
idea is to share when you can. We can act as filters and time savers to
each other. And, yer all bloody smart, else you wouldn't be here, so
your opinions on news items are welcome.)

As we are in the common law system, generally publications in the
geographic realms listed above will probably be appropriate most of the
time.

Until its necessary to break things into separate areas (crim, property,
etc.), all postings here should, as a matter of courtesy, have the
related course in CAPS in the subject line as a "SLUG".

    I.e., A New York Times story about John Ashcroft
    wanting to restrict U.S. prosecutors for using any
    plea bargains would have a subject line like:

    CRIMINAL: New U.S. Plea Bargain Limits Could Swamp Courts, Experts
Say

That will help sort out the subject areas for now.

PART II: QL06 World New List -- Technical stuff

I have, at least for now, ditched Yahoo (which makes my skin crawl,
anyway) for those wonderful communist Linux users at freelists.org.
(That's a facetious comment.)

The group has been configured thusly:

  · Restricted: Approval needed to join
  · Unmoderated: Once joined, post freely
  · Archives: None, so you save 'em
  · No HTML: Prefer straight text posts
  · Attachments: Permitted, but go easy -- small files ONLY

And be aware that attachments are THE primary source of viruses

PART III: QL06 World New List -- Posting

Once you are a member of the list (approved), you can post freely,
without my "moderation."

Send direct posts to ql06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you are unsure if something is appropriate at first, feel free to
check with 2kc16@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx