[ql06] Re: Drunk driver designated "long-term offender" (per CC s.753.1)

  • From: Stephen Kennedy <2srk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ql06@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:22:20 -0500

Kenneth Campbell [QL06] wrote:

>Every move he makes will be supervised for next 10 years
>Repeat drunk driver designated long-term offender

<snip>

>In the end, defence lawyer Jon Bliss did not contest the move and
>Justice Douglas completed the process by declaring Allen a long-term
>offender, sentencing him to four years in prison with a lifetime driving
>ban and 10 years of strict supervision.

As I was reading the article I thought, "This guy's a hopeless
reoffender. He deserves to get the book thrown at him." Then I got to
the sentence above and realized the guy's defence lawyer sold him down
the river. It's too bad really, because now we'll never know if the
long-term offender designation was fairly applied in this case. I hope
he appeals.

One more thing. If I'm ever in legal trouble remind me not to hire Jon
Bliss.

Steve