[ql06] CONTRACT: Women lawyers behaving badly...

  • From: "Ken Campbell" <2kc16@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ql06@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:19:57 -0500

[Like Prinzo, another case of females treating each other rather
shabbily in an employment contract scenario. This clinic is making
constant troublesome headlines back in ol' TO. Erica's got a much better
chance than Bambi, per Prinzo. KEN.]

Black legal clinic's woes deepen
Ex-employee's lawsuit alleges workplace was `poisoned';
Defence denies accusations that worker was threatened

JIM RANKIN AND SCOTT SIMMIE
STAFF REPORTERS
TORONTO STAR
Nov. 13, 2003

Even if the African Canadian Legal Clinic can sort out its differences
with Legal Aid Ontario and deal with a deepening rift in the community
it serves, the clinic faces a number of other hurdles — including
allegations that the workplace was "poisoned" and an ex-employee
dehumanized by management.

The allegations come in a wrongful dismissal lawsuit filed by a former
employee who's seeking $550,000 in damages. Erica Lawson's suit makes
serious allegations about treatment by the clinic and its executive
director, Margaret Parsons.

Parsons and the clinic are in the midst of dealing with public fallout
from a Legal Aid Ontario audit that found mismanagement, possible misuse
of funding, potential alteration of clinic membership to manipulate the
outcome of board elections and inaccurate statistical entries that
"inflated" the number of actual cases and referrals handled by the Bay
St. clinic.

The audit didn't find any fraud or misappropriation of funds. Parsons
and the clinic's current board chair say the clinic, one of 79 in the
province, is being singled out for scrutiny. Parsons, in particular, has
labelled the treatment "anti-black racism in its purest form."

Parsons, in a recent interview, would not comment on Lawson's ongoing
suit. But Lawson's dismissal appears to be the incident that a clinic
media release said "has led to a string of unsupported allegations."

According to Lawson's statement of claim, the policy and research
analyst was given a formal letter of reprimand on March 7 during a
meeting with Parsons and Sheena Scott, the clinic's director of legal
services. The reprimand called Lawson's behaviour "sulky, sullen and
uncommunicative."

Because the letter was going to be placed in her personnel file, Lawson
asked for a chance to respond. It's alleged she was denied the
opportunity, then returned to her office. From there, according to
allegations in Lawson's suit that have not been proved in court, things
turned from bad to worse: Parsons told Lawson to go home and "cool off,"
it says.

When she refused, it's claimed, "Parsons entered the plaintiff's office,
hovered over her in a threatening manner, and insisted she leave." Soon
thereafter, "Parsons picked up the plaintiff's bags and threw them in
the hallway outside the entrance to ACLC's office," alleges the suit.
When Lawson stepped out the clinic door, it was locked behind her.

A few days later, Lawson wrote to Parsons and Scott stating: "I feel the
work environment is poisoned and I no longer feel safe coming to the
ACLC in light of the abuse to which I was subjected on Friday afternoon.
I am prepared to continue working from home ... until we are able to
reach an amicable solution."

On March 25, a letter was couriered to Lawson's lawyer indicating she
was terminated.

In a statement of defence, the clinic denies many of the allegations,
including that Parsons behaved in a "threatening manner." While it does
admit Parsons picked up Lawson's bags, the document denies the bags were
"thrown" or "tossed."

Parsons and the clinic, in their joint statement of defence, say they
had concerns about Lawson's attitude and communication skills throughout
2002, and let her know this. On Feb. 26, 2003, Lawson "behaved in a rude
and insubordinate manner" with the clinic's Sheena Scott, states the
statement of defence. From then on, according to the document, there was
an "overall deterioration" in Lawson's attitude and performance.

The clinic and Parsons say in their defence that there was just cause
for terminating Lawson, because of her "wilful and deliberate
disobedience and based on her defiance" of instructions. Shortly after
the board approved the dismissal, an e-mail sent to other board members
from then-chair Evelyn Myrie and obtained by the Star, expressed grave
concern.

"I have spent more than 20 years in social and community development,
fighting for equity and justice for marginalized communities. ... To
terminate Ms Lawson without providing an opportunity to hear her side of
the story flies in the face of fairness. How can we represent clients
who have been unfairly treated by their employers when we too, have
behaved ... in similar fashion with our own staff?" Myrie wrote.