[ql06] Re: CONSITUTIONAL:Ottawa considers drug tests on drivers

  • From: mark bumstead <2mab8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ql06@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:47:52 -0400

Interesting.  Not surprisingly, I disagree that Dangerous Driving (s.249(1)
of the CCC) is more appropriate than Impaired Driving (s.253).

And imagine that it is for that same tired old reason: anything carried to
the extreme is silly and dangerous.  Dangerous Driving carries a penalty of
5 yrs (249(2)) or less, while Impaired carries graduated punishment with
fines less than $600 and jail time ranging from 14 days to 5 yrs.  (255(1)).

It seems heavy handed, and may not survive the Oakes test, if challenged in
relation to the punishment for alcohol based events.  "Had I been drunk and
not stoned ..."

I agree, however, that there needs to be appropriate metrics put in place
that can tell how impaired one is AT THAT MOMENT, not how stoned you were
two weeks ago.

Mark

P.S. I preferred the alternative argument that being stoned was part of the
culture and therefore should be part of the scoring.  If you can't do it as
it is done in the wild, are you really doing it at all?