[pythonvis] Re: FW: How to get started

  • From: Drew Mochak <drew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythonvis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 19:07:11 -0700

Out of curiosity, why are we learning Python 2.7 rather than 3?
On 5/1/2014 5:56 PM, Jeffrey Turner wrote:

Hello List Members,

We had our first meeting on Out-of-sight.net tonight, so I am reposting this Getting Started email sent by richard Dinger for the new members. It may seem like a lot to do just to get going, but if you take it step-by-step, it really isn’t too bad.

JDog

***richard’s message:

For those new to programming and maybe even some just new to Python, I found an on-line tutorial for beginners on programming using Python that might help. If you want to go through the tutorial, you will need to set up your computer first as described below.

Part 1: Getting set up

Before you look at the tutorial, you will need a few things. You need python itself, a text editor program and a folder to work in. The following steps cover how to get set up on windows. Note there are many ways to get set up, this is just a quick setup for beginners that can be revised later.

1 Download the latest version of python 2.7x (about 15 meg) from

www.python.org/download <http://www.python.org/download>

the filename will be something like python-2.7.6.msi

2 install python by executing the msi file. Note where you install it on your computer for example at c:\python27.

3 You will need a text editor program and know how to use it. MS Notepad comes with windows and is workable for the tutorial. Other editors will be discussed on the list.

4 Create a new folder for trying examples in the tutorial, I will call it tutor.

5 in your tutor folder put the following dos file named 'shell.bat' you can edit the file with Notepad. Note lines beginning with rem are comments and may be omitted.

rem begin shell.bat

rem replace c:\python27 with where you installed python

set path=%path%;c:\python27

rem change prompt to just the drive letter (optional):

prompt $N$G

cmd.exe

rem end shell.bat

Part 2: How to use your set up to write and run python scripts.

1 Navigate to your tutor folder.

2 Open your text editor and enter the following one line script, which simply writes to the screen:

print 'Hello, world'

3 Save the file as 'hello.py'

4 Start your shell.bat file by hitting enter on it. Shell will prompt you with something like:

C:>

5 Type the name of your python script 'hello.py' and enter.

6 You should get:

Hello, world

c:>

or an error message if there is a problem

7 When done for the day, you can close the shell command shell by enteering 'exit' after the prompt. The shell also has minor editing for example an up arrow will scroll up through previous commands andyou can edit through arrow keys, new text and delete.

You can also run your script by simply double clicking or hitting enter on the filename in windows explorer, but when it runs windows will create a new window, run it and close the window. That all happens so fast you will miss it and any error messages.

Part 3: Take a look at the tutorial.

hetland.org/writing/instant-hacking.html

Richard