[python] Re: questions about frame

  • From: Peter Oliva <kaznjammer@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:23:43 +0100

Hello!

Well, thanks Laurent for commenting on my description, I've added some more speculation in response to your questions. Is there maybe someone here who can put our discussion on a somewhat more 'scientific' foundation?

Laurent Dechenne wrote:

the most important for stability is having pivot
> at the maximum low from the weels axles, at the
> "maximum" high (28 weels) <snip>

I don't think the size of wheels affects the stability at all. Though if you mix two different wheel sizes you may want to carefully consider the effect. (I'm not sure that it would still work with 20" in the front and 28" in the rear.)
The absolute height of the Python probably does not affect it's stability. What seems important is the relative height of the pivot. It needs to be lower than the axles. (Maybe it doesn't need to be lower than both axles. But I consider it essential that it be lower than on of the axles.)

> <snip> to have the angle > axles-pivo-axles "sharp" as possible ...correct?

Nope I don't agree with this either. It does seem that the sharper the angle is, the better the Python does straight lines. But at some point I imagine that it could get hard to make it do curves. Then you have the oposite of a merry-go-round: a rail-bike. To much stability might not be a good thing.

> is'n it 90° with line to front weel axle more > important than angle with the ground?

I don't think so, only one thing seems important to me:
The pivot must rise when you steer in to a curve. When you go straight on the other hand, the pivot should be at its lowest position. I can't see how this can be done without having the pivot at an angle to the ground.