[python] Vedr.: Re: some thoughts

  • From: Rasmus Emil Møller <aer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:38:10 +0200

Hi,

no cyberbricks from me.

You are right that it will be similar to lighting the seat load, and if
"the hanging pendulum effect" really is an self-stabilizing concept in
itself, then you are right that it will destabilize things.

However I find it very probable that "the hanging pendulum effect" makes
the bicycle rideable by amplifying pivot angle feedback to the rider
instead of  making the bike inherently stable.

Rasmus

                      "daryl bender"

                      <darylbender@hotm        Til:      python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      ail.com>                 cc:

                      Sendt af:                Vedr.:    [python] Re: some
thoughts
                      python-bounce@fre

                      elists.org

                      05-10-15 00:24

                      Besvar venligst

                      til python

Hi

I think adding weight "in front of front wheel center OR behind rear wheel
center" will tend to be similar to lightening the seat load which should
reduce the hanging pendulum effect and tend to *destabilize* things.

As I think about it I think you either want to

a) Lessen aerodynamic tendencies to that would cause the front boom to veer

to one side or the other. I stress the front boom because in essence (being

articulated) the rear of the bike sort of follows the front boom or, if
receiving less drag, may even try to pass it (sort of like folding).

b) Use aerodynamics to generate a down force which would proportionately
increase the hanging pendulum effect which adds stability. In essence a
sort
of ground effects.

*I* have trouble visualizing how a) would be acheived but b) might be
acheived with a sort of inverted wing (placed between the wheels) which
would increase the down force.

To see if this would work we need someone to experiment if adding serious
weight increases high speed stability. Anybody want to Grinch-like load
thier python up with 1000lbs of sandbags and race down a mile long hill . .

. . . like say "Anne St"  where 25Hz lives perhaps and see what happens?
;-D

Cheers
Daryl - now ducking for the cyber brick I'm sure will be thrown at me. ;-D