[python] Re: TT-bike and trike conversions

  • From: George Durbridge <gdurbrid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 08 Jan 2006 07:18:18 +1100

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 07:12, Christoph Falkner wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> much thanks for all the advice in trike-construction, specially to "25hz"
> (sorry, I didn´t find your name!) for stub-axle-hub tips and to George
> Durbridge who opened my eyes for a special python-trike-dilemma: You have
> to put the center of gravity (cg) forward to make the
> negative-trail-concept work, but you loose cornering stability in the
> same moment. Most conventional delta trikes (f.e. Haase Kettwiesel)have
> the seat far back for safe cornering. Hipparions work, but there are
> more efficient trike lay-outs. After my test-ride I´m still a bit
> trike-crazy, but I think I will switch to a low tadpole-trike.
> Finnished first drawings ... ;-)

Christoph,

I should explain that I ride a tadpole, and it is brilliant.  (MR Swift,
built here in Australia. http://www.mrrecumbenttrikes.com )  It is very
stable up to 70 kph (and probably faster) and has high, but not
infinite, resistance to overturning.  (I have rolled it, once.)  The
wheelbase, track and seat height are similar to your proposed design,
but you sit betwen the front wheels.

However, the Hipparion concept has some great attractions, and I have
always been tempted to build one.  It is mechanically simpler, it is
potentially lighter, it would be easier for relaxed riding, it has good
luggage capacity.

I am not sure that you need to put the centre of gravity forward for the
pendulum effect to work.  Esko Meriluoto sits well back in the
Hipparion, he has ridden it even further and longer than Jurgen has
ridden his Pythons, and he has described his experiences in terms which
are very similar to those of the more experienced Python riders: very
stable up to 30 kph, needs a steering damper above that speed.

Best wishes,

George