[python] Svar: pythoon video

  • From: "Thomas Paul Jahn" <tpj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 18:51:12 +0200

Dirk, absolutely great! When do you start production? I want to have
one!
cheers
Thomas

>>> Dirk Bonné 18-04-10 18:35 >>>
Hi pythonauts,

I have been working on and off on the "pythoon", and have had to change
a few things on the original design. But now the bike is practically
finished (misses some coats of paint...). I have now little over 200km
on that bike since the last geometry changes and it has become a very
nice bike to ride on. I've put a little video up on youtube
demonstrating the bike:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72dd2kHGxQM

The bike now has a pivot angle of 60degrees. For those who have been
following my progress, I first designed it with a 70degrees pivot angle,
but was very disappointed with the bikes turning abilities (the bike
steered worse than a truck).

I then decided to change it from 70 to 80degrees. The steering got a
little better, but pedal induced steer got worse (pedal indicued
steering, PIS is wiggling of the bottom bracket). PIS was already bad at
70degrees, btw. With the "pedal induced steer" I could live, because
this can be compensated for, but steering was still not satisfactory.

It is a lot of work to change the angle and after a lot of fretting, I
decided to try a pivot angle to the classical 60degrees, and miracle!
The bike became easy to turn and PIS was gone! In fact the feel of the
bike is just like how the "baby python" was.

I had also to change the width of the bottom of the basket as in one
turn, I hit the road with it - luckely nothing bad happened.

More picture can be found on:

    http://picasaweb.google.com/dirk.bonne/Pythoon

groeten,
Dirk