[python] Riding the Python

  • From: Koen Van de Kerckhove <nestofdragons@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Freelists Python <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 00:03:14 +0100

Hallo,

After a day of work I finished the Python (in the rough) and I was planning to go home but the Python was kind a smiling to me too much, so ... I started testriding it in the moonlight on a private place. Man, It looks like I am testing the Flevobike again. I hardly was able to make a straight line. My longest ride was about 30-50 meters. But ... I really enjoyed it. It is a challenge, and I like challenges!

My honest opinion of the testrides
1) it was easier to start when I used my hands on the ground. I had placed a small steer. But when I tried to use it I was always going sideways because of the movement of me pushing off and placing my foot on the step (right word?).
2) DON'T USE A STEER WITHOUT HORNS THAT GO UPWARDS! Man, that steer did hit the ground a lot of times. If I had used a straight tube as steer I would have lost all the flesh on my fingers at the first bad ride.
3) after 1 hour of riding (attempts!) I felt like somethiing happened when I placed my feet on the steps. I kind of became to understand the bike. But it was still a hard dialect to understand. That must have been the reason why I kept hitting the ground. ;^)
4) I was able to begin wanted turns. Before all turns were made by the bike, not me. But ... my own turns were not yet nicely ended. They were too sharp or not sharp enough. Anyway ... I began to be able to make turns. But ... not in style.
5) I feel like the Python has the same learning curve as the Flevo- bike if you try to ride it without hands from the start. I felt sometimes really stupid. I was kind of waving with my hands to keep balance just like a clown standing on a high rope. If somebody had a night vision camera it must have been a very strange sight. Good stuff for "Hidden Camera" shows I guess.
6) where do you place the brakes if you plan to ride it without hands? Under the seat is a NO-NO. See point 2.
7) Are there any tips for starting to ride such a Python? Such a article is not yet placed on the site. I am sure it will be very helpful if there was one.

Well, that is it for today. I am looking forward to test the Python a bit more tomorrow. Tomorrow I will visit the kid of prototype 05 of my site. I am really looking forward to hear about the comments of his fellow schoolfriends and his teachers when he drove to school with his recumbent bike today. He studies now in another school.

Keep that brain spawning wings,

Koen