[python] Re: RE.: Re: New Drawing: Drive system

  • From: "Weigel, Ralf" <Ralf.Weigel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 09:37:23 +0200

Hello,

At 14:46 28.06.2004 +0200, Rasmus wrote:
>Hi,
>
>This is the forum of weird ideas, right?

Nothing is too weird, one should always ask "where does it lead us to?"
instead of binning an idea at the first glance.

>So even if I never actually built a bike,
>I can suggest anything, no?

Fresh ideas do often come from people outside the field, as their minds
aren't guided by "common knowledge", subconcious assumptions and so on.

>So imagine the front bottom bracket  is REALLY wide;
>besides the normal chainring there is one chainring at
>either extremity; just INSIDE each chainring you have
>e piece of frame going backwards to each single-foot
>BB. The right singlefoot BB has its chainring on the
>right side and a pedal facing inwards on the left side.

Would the cranks look like an "U", one bearing and crank at the inner side
(original Python frame), pedal, second crank, bearing at the outer side
(your little piece of frame)? That would give advantage in terms of lever
length for each bearing.

>Just mirror the setup for the left single-foot BB.
>
>The idea would be to cancel some of the momentum
>(and, of course, to be able to mount rotating knives
>on the two front chainrings when biking in hostile
>environments  ;^) - sorry , couldn't resist)

Understandable. One feels often at disadvantage on a recumbent when faced
with normal traffic environment.

Perhaps I could propose another solution for the "short leg problem". Would
it be feasible to use "thick pedals"? One migth either fit additional
material for the footrest, or, if SPD pedals wanted, one could use 2 SPD
pedals on each side, one stacked on the other using the screws for the
pedal cage and some suitably formed steel sheet. Don't forget some
counterweight...

Good Bike

Ralf