[python] Re: Python stability

  • From: Dirk Bonne <dirk_bonne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:10:55 +0100

Jürgen Mages wrote:

It appears that if the pivot was directly in front of one's
crotch (!) it would add self-stability, but as it got higher
up it would seem to make leg-steering awkward.

According to most people, the steering axis has to go
through the middle between the two hip joints to minimize
the pedalling/steering interferences.
I wonder how the Tom Traylor like bikes are rideable.

The legs do not start from the spine. The legs are connected to the hip. The point around which the legs rotate --at the moment the legs are straight- lie very far behind (this point changes of course as the legs rotate sideways in the hip, so it is a momentary roation point only).

If the legs were totally parallel, then this rotation point lies in inifinity behind the spine even. If you do not want any effect, then you should have the pivot far behind you (but turning will not more work).

From this point of view, the pivot position of a flevo/python is also only a compromise. The farther behind the pivot the less the influence of the legs is on the stearing. But the less the legs can actually steer. The TT is only more a compromise, I would guess. I would also very much like to test a TT!

I'm still working on the script and understanding the meanings
of the stability matrix equations, hopefully I'll be able to
contribute something more concrete soon.

We are looking forward to your work.

In the next time I will build a scrap python which will
undergo a lot of geometry and steering experiments.
Some of them are: rubber pivot, four bar linkage pivot,
shallow steering angles around 50 degrees and lesser
negative trail. Will let you know.

Really cool! I am especially interested in the influence of the trail!

Dirk