[python] Re: Off topic: umlauts and such

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:33:23 +0200

Hi Ray,

this is the old german writing and the line above the u does NOT
mean ü. It is only there to distinguish the u and the n which look
quite similar. So the correct name is Schumacher and not
Schümacher. Don´t know the unicode for ü but there must be
some tables on the net.

Which town is your grandpa from?

Jürgen.

On the topic of northern European languages, I was reminded
of the "u" in Jürgen and such. My family name was originally
written like this: http://rjs.org/genealogy/schumacher.gif
(from granpa's birth certificate) but I don't really know what
the proper modern unicode character is... (?)