[python] New Python - "old New Python - 20" or 26"?"

  • From: "Jaime Cristovao" <jaime.alexandre@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 12:11:12 +0200

Hello again

After checking everything countless I just started stage two: building. I took
some pictures I will send later, as I only have one half of the front frame
done yet. The 26" front wheel with 17cm crancks will be fine, as I tested it on
a more realistic fashion and the whole piece seemt to be ok. Sephan, you are
completely right... But the mess was already in progress when I read your post.
I will have to find a solution... I suppose I will have to twist the BB a
couple of degrees to the right side.
I am following a "conservative" approach, with a predicted 65º pivot angle,
about 1,3 mts wheelbase and about 25 cms BB-to-seat height.
I did not decide yet about the pivot... I have two rod end bearings left from
when I was building my tryke, but they are M8 bolts and I suppose they're
undersized for such a stressed part of the bike. I think someone referred at
least a 10mm ones in other post... Well, one more thing to think about... At
least it's not done yet :-)
I'm also trying to find an elegant way to make the bike foldable... Not really
a must, but it would be nice.

Dirk: unfortunately, I am a little short to my weight :-), but I feel my 93 Kg
will do their job. About the handlebars... I'm thinking seriously on having
them fixed on the front wheel frame, but in a way they can be pressed down at
higher speeds. It might seem just another silly idea, but occoured me because
of python's particular geometry, whose main stability seems to be based on the
weight applied over the pivot... So if one can press the handlebars down, maybe
it will became a little more stable and controllable.

Jürgen, I spent some time reading previous posts on Python's mailinglist and
found an earlier one about patent issues. I agree with your decision. Python is
better be free than restricted by patent laws. Doubt anyone wants to buy an
"exotic" bike wich needs several hours of practice to be mastered. One have
really have make an effort to understand what a python is, how it works, and
build one, I suppose. And later, learn to ride it.

Cheers

Jaime Alexandre Cristóvão