[python] Re: Handlebars mounted

  • From: Dirk Bonne <dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:44:07 +0200

25hz wrote:

Well, my friend and I decided to utilized the (finally!) nice weather and
quickly put some handlebars on his python
(http://bikes.jkcc.com/python%20clone.htm#pythonmd) to a) make a place to
mount the gear changers and brakes and b) to see if it helped the rider to
control the bike. Unfortunately, no pictures at the moment . . . maybe I
can snap them tomorrow. Point a) worked, point b) did not. While they
haven't changed the characteristics for riding with no hands like usual, he
said that when he uses them, he loses concentration on his body balance too
easily and he can't compensate fast enough with the handle bars.

To bad your friend had no help of the handlebars. I seem to be the only user of the handlebar. But I do not actually steer with them. Most of the time I have my hands just resting on the handlebars. They're just relaxed.

Only when in trouble, a difficult and quick manouver, I use my arms. Or when not riding (sitting on the bike, feets on the ground). Or for stabelizing the bike in tricky situations (hill up, slalom).

And just may be it helps at high speed to dampen the steering.

But i guess it is all what you are used to.

His initial basic complaint is still present and that is that he is not
stable enough on it, to his liking.  I keep trying to remind him to get into
the mindset that he had when he first started riding a bike and that all it
takes is a little time and practice.  One thing I did like about watching
him ride is how fast they are with seemingly little effort.  When I try to
ride it, I get major pain in both ACLs (the ligaments on the inside of the
knee) but I am still committed to building a new seat for mine and adding
handle bars as well.  I don't know if I'm just trying to fire the wrong
muscles to steer the pythons or whether my bad knees will hamper my ability
to learn to ride them.

Be careful with those knees! I have myself a bad knee from an accident. And it is (only) in the learning process that the legs are very much strained. After that, you won't be bending your legs in all directions.

I know it is kind of dumb/trivial to say, but try to relax on the bike.

I was hoping handle bars would help take the strain
off my knees for steering inputs. At the very least, the handle bars did an
excellent job of saving the seat mesh from taking major damage during
wipe-outs :)

:-)