[python] Re: Frontal Area & Tire Pressure (was The Python genisis)

  • From: Stefan Bartels <sbartels@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:59:49 +0200

Perhaps a stupid idea - but is there just too little weight on the driven wheel? Then of ocurse the best way to get more adhesion to the road may be lower tyre pressure...
Just a thought.
Stefan

Henry Thomas schrieb:

Hi George,

With regard to frontal area I was comparing myself to MTB and Road bike riders with those time trial style extensions on the front handle bars that you rest your elbows on. When you look at them, front on, their body is relatively horizontal, so its basically their shoulders and legs. For me its my full torso, on about a 40° recline, plus the rocker arm hardware below me and the rear wheels on either side of me. To my eye, we all look about even. But obviously my trike has an edge ;)

On the issue of tire pressure, at 100psi on course bitumen the front wheel does slip under acceleration, probably because as you point out it is bouncing off the road surface. But for some reason tilting on tight turns, harder tires scrub off speed. Its certainly noticeable, but I don't know why for certain. The roads are I ride on are generally very rough -- uneven from heavy vehicle traffic -- so I assume that the hard tires on a lean are some how being repelled by the road surface, or perhaps they are bouncing sideways so I am forced to take a harder angle, thus scrubbing off speed. Either way the softer tires definitely hold the speed better as my tilting trike in corners. It seems about 65psi is a good compromise.

-h