[python] First test drive

  • From: "25hz" <25hz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 23:44:18 -0500

As my Python stands so far:

Traill:                     28
Seat height:            16
Ground Clearance:   7
Wheelbase:           132
Weight:                   14.5
The weight will increase a little more after I add brakes and front
derailleur.
That's the stats . . .

The good news is, the first test drive of the bent went fine.  The friend of
mine who is also building a Python clone was riding it in less than 10
minutes so to me, that confirms that everything is straight enough to be
able to ride it.  I on the other hand have no idea how to balance or steer
it.  I can't get the "feel" of it at all.  I'm actually surprised at this
because I was a gymnast, could ride a unicycle, skateboard, surf, did
motocross and could do wheelies til the cows came home.  I would have
thought some portion of those skills would have enabled me to pick up the
python fairly quickly - apparently not though.  I'll keep at it, because
that's the way I am  :)  If I built it, I'll sure as hell learn how to ride
it.

During the test drive, on one of my MANY wipeouts, I bent the rear end bad
enough that it needed to be replaced.  I also trashed both sides of the seat
mesh.  I replaced the rear end with a MTB fork, made some crash guards to
protect the seat and will mend the mesh tomorrow.  After that, back at the
practicing.

I'm curious as to how stable the pythons are at speed with so much weight
being concentrated at or towards the front?  I was also thinking of adding
handle bars to the sides of the front half of the bent to help me get the
hang of steering it.  Barring that, I'm adding spring loaded, retractable
training wheels  :)  I updated some of the site info on the Python status
too along with the pictures.