[python] Re: FW: introduce myself

  • From: Dirk Bonné <dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 12:40:24 +0200

Hi Vi,

I think this is misleading. Only trail and angle are the important design parameterswhere along that axis the pivot is positioned should not matter. From the youtube films you posted it is also these parameters you changed!

As far as I can see, the height of the BB is only important related to the seat height. I find it difficult to see from the pictures of Gijs how seat-BB difference is. At first sight it doesn't look that excessive? I guess Gijs should just have a lot of patience. Everybody who learned to ride a midsteer bike knows it takes a lot of time.

Dirk

On 18.09.2011 01:30, Vi Vuong wrote:
Hi Gijs,

You may find excessive wheel flop with the BB much higher than the pivot.  My first attempt was not ride-able based on this design, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmx_F8RpY2o

In second attempt, I moved the pivot up to the axle level

Vi

From: gijsbertusneppuc@xxxxxxx
To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: introduce myself
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 22:02:07 +0200

Hello pythonists,

I like to introduce myself on your "mailinglist community". Me and my homebuild bike.
I discovered the python-recumbent on a late night surfing session on the internet. I immediatly got excited when i saw the full documented building steps and all the fotos of home builders. I like the lowrider style and the great variousity in looks.. And I thought by myself I (even I) could do this.
I am not an engineer or welder. I have a dayjob working with psychiatric patients, and i am living together with my girlfriend and two year old daughter. My technical education is mainly LEGO technic. But i do have a welding machine and a drill and a grinder and some "boerenverstand" (=farmers-logic, Dutch for common sense..).

I showed my girlfriend (the next day) the photos en videos on Utube and she saw the Pythoon of Dirk Bonne and she went: " O that is nice for our little daughter!!"
Me too, I was impressed by the pythoon, first because of the looks, i love the complexness of all the little tubes. And second for the practical use of the bike.
I thought, well if i gonna make one, why not a bike i really like!

I hope, Dirk, if you read my mail you will think that i am inspired by the pythoon and not just a lazy copycat... ;-)

In the last three weeks i completed the bike. (check: www.tinyurl.com/fietsgijs) Now i only need to do fine tuning and last jobs. Need te do brakes, fine-tune the allignement, paint, seat cover, and so on.
Specs: -Pivot Angle 60 degrees (maybe change i'll it, if you have an advice on this subject, let me know!!)
           - 2 x 24 INCH tires
           - Wheelbase 160
          - Weight 23 kg (oef..)
          - Front tubing 30 X 20 X 2mm
          - Seat height : 40cm
The rest i need to measure

Now i need to learn to ride it.
I discovered that this is really really difficult. First day, I rode two meters max without stepping off.. ( And no i am not gonna put films of this attemps on utube ;-) ) I guess/ hope this is mainly a case off practice. Altough i read on many Python E- stories that a little change on the pivot angle can make a great difference in the ride-ability of the bike.

You can see my foto's on internet on www.tinyurl.com/fietsgijs.  You can let me know what you think about it..

Kind regards,

Gijs
Eindhoven, Holland

============================================================ This is the Python Mailinglist //www.freelists.org/list/python Listmaster: Jurgen Mages jmages@xxxxxx To unsubscribe send an empty mail to python-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field. ============================================================