[python] Re: Bushing

  • From: Colin Morton <iron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:14:54 +0800

Hello Jürgen, Hello Pythonists,
Im back from working in the northwest.
I have considerable experience using sintered bronze and nylon bushes.
Here in Australia there are not unlimited supplies of sizes of both bushes. So I would buy solid bar and machine (lathe} it to size.
Bronze is very nice to bore out to size.But nylon is a bit painful to work with as its not dimensionally stable.The machine tool has to be incredibly sharp to take fine cuts.
I think that if either bronze or nylon bushes where engineeringly sound idea's that the bicycle industry would have adopted them as common practice long ago.
Nylon bushes are used for the tiny child' s bikes but they wear out rapidly.
Bronze bushes wear, they would be quite heavy and not adjustable.
The ball bearing idea is still in my opinion the best way to go.
I have been thinking about the pivot bearings and I may have an alternative solution soon.
I am away from work for several weeks and would be available to machine up any ball bearing type pivots. I dont know what the freight would cost. I know that it only takes a few days airfreight to Europe.
Regards Colin.

Dirk,

On another mailing list there was some talk about using sintered bronse
bushings. I would like to launche this question. Does anybody think that
it could work with just this? No ball bearings at all? And if so why
isn't the bicycle industry using it for the steering axle?

This is a very interesting idea. I am even thinking of a Nylon bushing for
the steering pivot. Hope to hear from long time experiences soon.

My BB pivot runs until now smothly for 8000 km. But I had to re-adjust it
after the first 100 km (the same with Peter's BB pivot).