[python] Re: Buliding first Python

  • From: Dirk Bonné <dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 22:41:48 +0200

bepb wrote:

> Maybe someone can help me with a few answers:
> 1) Did anybody tried to build a Python using a coaster break? Is it
> worth getting a (used) gear hub with  coaster break?
On the monty there is only a coaster break. I rode a few times in town
(Copenhagen/Malmö) on that bike and found it dangerous. The reaction
time and strength of the braking depended on the position of pedals.

> On second thought, I am a bit unsure if it is possible to use the
> break and still steer the bike.
On the momty that was no problem at all.

> 2) Did anybody try and use slide bearing in stead of a ball-bearing
> for the pivot? I got myself to ball-bearings but I am a bit unsure if
> the higher friction of a slide bearing would not improve stability of
> the python. Any experiences?
As long as there is no largish play (spiel) in pivot it should be okay.
I am convinenced that the extra friction will not be noticed at all. The
pivot on my own pivot has been in bad shape: dimples (index steering),
cracked cups, abuse from my side (over-tensioning of the bearings :-[ ),
and it all didn't feel like anything unusual when riding. Probably the
forces on the pivot (legs that steer, self centering) are so
overwhelming that it doesn't really matter.

Dirk