[python] Re: Angle, angle on the wall ...

  • From: olaf <noll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 10:32:45 +0200

One argument for the importance of the weight distribution is Jürgens own conclusion that the Airbike is very stable compared to other center steered creations. On the Airbike the riders' position is very close, even tangent to the front wheel.

olaf

GIF image

On Saturday, May 1, 2004, at 03:06 AM, Colin Bunting wrote:

Hello All,

Perhaps someone that has a python that can actually be ridden could generate some data for us in terms of weight distribution on each wheel with the different seating positions and the effect on handling. I'm not trying to avoid my own experimentation, just duplication of the same old mistakes. Perhaps the major issue is the relation of the center of gravity to the pivot more than the angle of the pivot itself. The relative position of that body weight swinging on the lever that is the rear component of the frame has to have a major effect on the handling and stability of the whole unit. Maybe a 50/50 or 60/40 weight distribution is as important or even more important than the head angle?!
Am I making any sense?

Regards
Rob
On Apr 29, 2004, at 2:51 PM, Peter Oliva wrote:

We fixed up my python yesterday and I just took it for a ride. After readjusting the sitting position many things have become easier for me.

I'd recommend trying a more upright position, if you feel 'wobbly'. The center of gravity seems to have a very strong impact on how your Python behaves. I always had the feeling that my rear wheel had a tendency to wander. This would endager my balance.

After I found Jürgens Python 1 easier to ride, we both figured the difference in the steering angle must be responsible. Well, surprise! After readjusting the seat for a much more upright position, my Python (which I guess Jürgen calls Python 2) handles itself a lot more like Python 1.

Sitting more upright should move the center of gravity closer to the front, which I assume is responsibe for the positive effect. And it should be higher which I would assume has a destabilizing effect, but surprisingly I can't feel any such negative effect.

The positive side-effects for me are significant:

Easier access to the brakes which are mounted under the seat. Changing gears is easier - the lever is close to the seat as well.

I can relax much more easily in this position, and pedalling is less strenuous. This is of great benefit. I think a soft touch is very important when handling the Python. Exerting force or stiffening your body in any way always seem to result in a loss of control.

Riding the beast is getting to be more and more fun. There was a period in the beginning where every encounter I had on the road could startle me into losing my balance. This was often accompanied by the feeling of being the object of much comment or even ridicule. Luckily this period doesn't last.

I think the hazard of falling off their bikes is now turning against those opinionated spectators, who now gape in shock at Peter cruising by on his low-flying Snake!