[pure-silver] Re: washing film with deminarilised water

  • From: Georges Giralt <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:13:28 +0100

Selon Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxx>:
> By the way, as far as I know, the symbol for liter in Europe and Japan
> is cursive ell rather than capital L, which seems much more common in
> the U.S. Does anyone know why?
Hi !
I can answer this one :
Notation in the International system follows a simple rule. If the units's name
came from a scientist as the A from Ampere, or Hz from Hertz, it is written
with a capital letter. Otherwise it's written lower case.
BTW, gram is written with a gr because Mr Gram did not gave it's name to a mass
measure.
So we have a little litre (in French, liter in English) (l)  and all derivatives
: ml, dl, cl, hl ..... and a capital Amper and all derivatives ; mA ..... And so
on.
Hope this helps !