[pure-silver] Re: update: verichrome pan dev time

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:08:06 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2014 12:55 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: update: verichrome pan dev time

Well I wonder sometimes why people would go through and try to sell this stuff, especially at a premium because after all you can't buy it anymore. grin

The latest expiration I saw was 1990 and many expired in the 60s and 70s

I used the film for the first time just as Kodak discontinued it. I loved it then, but just because its in the original box and packaging does not mean it is the same film now.

Now I am not one to automatically toss a film because its a few months past the date on the box. I wouldn't use it for anything critical, but Id use it without hesitation. But a over a decade past?? Might get images, but its not the same film anymore and won't be consistent from roll to roll. Unless I was curious, I wouldn't waste my time with 50 year old film, then again I have been know to want to just see what happens. You just might get something unique with 50 year old film. lol

I bought a couple of bricks of V-Pan long ago. It was just expired so I got it cheap. It was lovely film. The last of it was perhaps four years expired when I used it. It had gotten somewhat foggy but still worked OK. I tried a little bromide in the developer, I don't remember how much but not a lot, and the negatives came out with no fogging. However, bromide does have some effect on speed and probably on tone rendition. Kodak claimed that V-Pan was similar to Plus-X but without the retouching surfaces. I think the only thing they had in common was the approximate speed. I did like Plus-X in roll film. Another goody was Plus-X motion picture negative stock. I still have some although I don't know if its still good.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL