[pure-silver] something fishy about my lith developer...

  • From: BILL WILLIAMS <krbill_10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 07:31:02 -0700 (PDT)

For those interested in lith printing and also into
mixing your own developer, this may interest you.

Several lith developer formulas include sodium
formaldehyde bisulfite.  I don't find a product listed
as such in the Photographer's Formulary catalog.
However, after searching the www I discovered that two
of the chemicals that are sold to treat water in
aquariums are discribed to be pure sodium formaldehyde
bisulfite.  They are available as liquid or powder.
The two products are ClorAm-X and Amquel.  I have used
the Amquel and also Amquel+ in my lith developer
formula and they work just fine.  However, I cannot
find what the "plus" is in Amquel+.  I believe it is a
pH buffer, but I can't find what exactly it is.  It
does work though.

As far as measures, the best guess I have is that 1
teaspoon of dry ingredient is about 4.5 grams, and
that about 20-25 ml of the Amquel liquid is
equivalent.  That is the measure I used.

The disclaimer:   I'm no chemist, this is 'kitchen
chemistry'.  You are on your own.  The link to the
msds for the cloram-x is:
http://www.reed-mariculture.com/cloram-x/msds.pdf#search='cloramx%20msds'

Bill