[pure-silver] small correctionRe: MY BAD!!! Exp date?

  • From: "bobkiss @caribsurf.com" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 11:43:06 -0400

small correction: there are 4 boxes of 25 sheets each.

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 11:32 AM, bobkiss @caribsurf.com <
bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

DEAR LIST,
My excuse for the following foolishness is that I have had 4 major
surgeries in fewer than 5 years so things have piled up in my office and
darkrum...oops...darkroom awaiting my attention. Well, I am finally
digging through the mess and getting reorganized. What did I find? 100
sheets of 8X10 Ilford HP5 Plus (5 unopened separate 20 sheet boxes) sitting
in a box at the bottom of a pile in my air conditioned office. I had put
the other box of 100 sheets in my freezer as soon as I got it but forgot
this one!?!?!
The expiration date was 2013. Now I know that, with Kodak b&w films,
I have seen very little loss in image quality using film that is a few
years "out of date" but I was wondering what I might expect from HP5 Plus
with which I am less familiar.
Please, those with actual experience (rather than conjecture), let me
know your experiences with HP5 Plus, especially sheet film (which Richard
will rightly state is a different emulsion than roll film) with regard to
using film that is a few years after the exp date.
Given that my office is air conditioned, will there be:
1) Significant increase in fog?
2) Loss of speed?
3) Loss of contrast for given dev conditions?
4) Any other significant loss of quality?
Thanks in advance for your help!
CHEERS!
BOB