[pure-silver] Re: silver gelatin or gelatin silver?

  • From: Tony Wingo <akw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:19:03 -0700

At 9:03 PM -0700 4/10/07, Richard Knoppow wrote:

    The terms are strictly the invention of galleries who want to
1, To differentiate the prints from other types (carbon, platinum, gum, etc.)
2, Give them a fancy name (WoW, look at this: its a Silver Gelatin print!).

The little cooperative gallery I belong to had an opening last Friday. I had labeled my work as "Silver Gelatin" (to distinguish it from the Cyanotype, Bromoil, Serigraph and Digital work others had hanging). One guest came up to me and asked me, in all seriousness, how difficult it was to make a "Silver Gelatin" print. I explained to him that it was just a big name for conventional photographic paper, but I don't think he believed me: He still seemed convinced that this was some esoteric technique.

Another story in the "What is the world coming to" category:

Every summer there is a big juried show around here, that almost every one participates in. It's pretty competitive; out of 600-800 submissions, only 200 make the cut. In general, the quality of the work is high and the judging is reasonable (excepting, of course, the one year they rejected all of my submissions). However, there have recently been some changes in management, and last year a friend of mine who does wonderful bromoils (and has taken ribbons for them at this show in the past), discovered that one of his bromoils had taken first place in the _digital_ category. He asked the judges about it and it turns out that they had never heard of Bromoil and furthermore assumed that anything they didn't recognize must be digital.

--

-tony

San Leandro, CA

http://www.shapesandshadows.com