[pure-silver] Re: shutter speed

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 15:10:28 -0700

I agree with this especially for older shutters. One thing that is not widely known is that most between the lens or leaf shutters are calibrated for the equivalent speed when the iris is wide open. The speed is measured between the half light transmission points, i.e. one stop down. So given the finite opening and closing times this method tends to indicate increased speeds for the higher speeds. For instance, a shutter labeled 1/500th second may in fact do that for its maximum aperture but may drop to maybe 1/300th for smaller stops. Since opening and closing times are constant (mostly) the effect is less as the shutter speed becomes slower. Nonetheless, the best mechanical shutters are no better than about + or - 20%.
Also, focal plane shutters are no better. The effective speed of a focal plane shutter is a complex of its slit size and the distance from the film and angle of the light cone from the lens. So, the efficiency varies with the slit dimension, distance from film in comparison to the slit width, and distance and stop of the lens. In general, the smaller the slit, further from the film, wider the angle of light from the lens, the lower the efficiency will become. At the highest speeds the efficiency of a FP shutter like the ones in Speed Graphics and Graflex cameras can be quite low, lower than a leaf shutter at the same speed.
I have an old Calumet shutter tester. With some care about the light source its possible to demonstrate the efficiency loss of a focal plane shutter.

On 10/21/2015 2:12 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

On 10/21/2015 03:49 PM, `Richard Knoppow wrote:
See the article at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value
The new series was introduced by Deckel for the EVS system about 1960.
Also see: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/ev.htm

I am not sure but think the system may have been introduced on a
Rolleiflex camera.

On 10/21/2015 1:32 PM, Eddy Willems wrote:
can someone tell when the old serie shutterspeeds 1 2 5 10 25 ...
changed in the new serie 1 2 4 8 15 ....
best regards

I have tested many mechanical shutters on a reasonably accurate shutter test
system over the years. I'd suggest the differences between these nominal
speeds is irrelevant, at least for mechanical systems. So I treat them
interchangeably. most usually mapping 1/5 -> 1/4. 1/10 -> 1/8 and so on.

WB6KBL