[pure-silver] Re: scanner recommendations (not OT!)

  • From: "rob c" <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:46:49 +0100

The answer depends on who you talk to.

the two flatbeds currently being talked about are the epson 4990 and the canon
9900f
check out http://www.photo-i.co.uk/  where there are reviews on both.

The main difference seems to be that the canon comes equipped with medium
format holders which let you scan 2 strips of 6x6 in one go whereas the epson
requires third party film holders for this. epson software is better but
everyone seems to think silverfast is better anyway so in my view the canon is
a better purchase. Both are cheap and are reported to give excellent results
for medium format and up. For 35mm negs a dedicated film scanner is a better
choice.

rob