[pure-silver] Re: pure-silver Digest V2 #6

  • From: Georges Giralt <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 07:31:35 +0100

Hi Adrienne !
Encapsulate is planned.
I will use a special cement used for the inside of pools which is
plastic white, totally waterproof and resistant to wear, chemicals, and
so. It will prevent salpeter (sp?) formation on the walls also. (a bit
expensive, but I've a little surface to do, and as I've used it before,
like the product, and know it well. BTW it is made by Sika)
As far as heating goes, I've the option to hook to the central heating
system (hot water based with some pipes in the basement) or using an
electric heater for the periods I'll print in it.
My main concern is humidity/fungus. Toulouse is a somewhat wet city in
winter (hot and dry in summer) and my ecologist way of thinking refrains
me to use a dehumidifier in  for 24h a day. (electricity is not cheap)
So at first, I'll keep the lenses out of my basement.
I've collected all the books about darkroom construction, and had a look
at Ctein's one in "Post Exposure".
I wonder is I use the plastic isolation sheet someone mentioned,  as I
fear it force humidity in (preventing it's escape)... This is the big
issue, because once the plastic sheet will be in (or not) and walls
constructed I'll have no way to remove/put it...
Enjoy your darkroom !
And have a nice day !
Adrienne Moumin a écrit :
> Congrats on your new darkroom, Mark!
>
> Georges, the main piece of advice I can give you about those cement walls
> is....ENCAPSULATE.  I have a few things, cinder block walls & some exposed
> cement floor among them, which are very dust producing.  Every single such
> surface must, it seems to me, be thoroughly coated with primer and/or paint,
> or some other type of coating.   They make specific types for basements,
> floors, etc.
>
> It's a drag to have to do this, & I am coming off a mostly nonstop 14 months
> of house renovations, some of which I have done myself....but I am
> determined to not skimp because I don't feel like doing it, and being sorry
> later.
>
> Not sure what your heating/cooling system is, but we had new ductwork added
> onto our system to ventilate the darkroom, it's near the floor of the room
> entrance.  An updraft exhaust fan from a defunct kitchen stove is mounted
> above the sink, & works great.
>
> I actually used that book to help me design my darkroom, Claudio.
>
> Well, back to it.
>
> Cheers, all!
>
> -Adrienne
>
> ***************************************
> Please, please shake some booty on the dance floor. You look great in those
> pants and we totally spy you tapping your foot up against the wall, flower.
> If the beat moves you, then rock it.
>
> from "nonsense nyc," 12/31/04...and their list of rules for New Year's Eve
> (and for life).
>

>>------------------------------
>>
>>From: "mark" <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>Subject: [pure-silver] Re: New Darkroom
>>Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:57:00 -0500
>>
>>I had about a 10 year backlog of negatives that needed attention, and about
>>2 years of negatives that needed processing.
>>------------------------------
>>
>>Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:04:59 +0100
>>From: Georges Giralt <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>
>>Subject: [pure-silver] Re: New Darkroom
>>
>>Hi !
>>I'm looking at everything you've to say about construction and first use
>>  because this spring I will have my own piece to turn to a darkroom !
>>It will be in the basement, build in concrete and for now, my main
>>concern is how to cope with dust... and cold wet air.

Ce message est constitué d'au moins 50 % d'électrons recyclés.
Aucun électron n'a été blessé ou forcé d'aucune manière
pendant l'écriture de ce message. S'il vous plaît aidez nous
à conserver nos ressources, recyclez vos électrons !