[pure-silver] Re: old Leica and fast shutter speeds

  • From: "John Black" <jblack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:27:43 -0400

> >Has it had a CLA recently?  Might be time.
>

> It had a complete workover about a year ago, when it first came out
> of the attic.  But in early september it had a little accident.  A
> baby mule kicked it.  His hooves were very small and it didn't hurt
> much, so I assumed it didn't hurt the camera either.  The camera was
> hanging around my neck and his little hooves just came up under it
> and sort of knocked it a little bit.

Probably didn't hurt it much if it didn't hurt you.

> >BTW, it is better to use a tighter aperture setting than count on the
> >highest shutter speed on these guys.  What film?
>

> TriX.  The tightest aperture is about 12.5!

Ha!  Just shoot at a 1/500 and 12.5 (this has to be an uncoated Summar) and
the Tri-X will handle the overexposure fine.  If you shoot the whole roll
outdoors in the sun, drop back 20% on your dev time.  What dev?  If D76 1:1,
use 8 min instead of 10 and you'll be fine.

JB