[pure-silver] Re: fixer question

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 16:27:58 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sissy Albertine" <salbert@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2008 8:51 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] fixer question

Hi all,

I am printing on Ilford Multigrade FB paper and noticed the directions state that it should be fixed in Ilford Paper Fixer (1 + 3) for 1 minute with intermittent agitation. Being old school, I find it hard to believe fiber base can be archivally fixed in 1 minute. Am I off here?

Thanks,

Sissy Albertine

It can be with a couple of caviats. The emulsion of RC paper is very thin and there is nothing under it to absorb any of the emulsion when its coated. The paper fixer is a "rapid" or ammonium thiosulfate fixer, I am not sure of the concentration of the Ilford product but, in general, ammonium thiosulfate fixers are faster than sodium thiosulfate fixer, but it depends on the concentration. When using sodium thiosulfate fixer the fixing time for most RC papers is 2 minutes. I use two baths and fix in each for one minute. Ammonium thiosulfate fixer has a somewhat higher capacity for complete fixing than the sodium form so one can use a single bath but I would check with Ilford as to what the capacity of this particular fixer is. The silver halide in paper or film emulsion is not soluble in water so the undeveloped halide which remains after development must be converted into a soluble substance in order that it can be removed. This is the job of the fixer. The process is stepwise with each step being increasingly more soluble. However, there must be enough thiosulfate ions available in the fixing bath to complete the process. It takes three thiosulfate ions to combine with one silver halide ion to convert it. Since a lot of the silver halide comes out in the fixer after a certain amount of emulsion is fixed there are no longer enough ions left to complete the fixing process. The film or paper my be "cleared" (film looks cloudy when there is halide left) but there may still be enough halide or insoluble fixer reaction products left to react with the image in the future causing staining. The safest way around this is to use two successive baths, each for half the recommended fixing time, and to check the prints or film with a residual silver test occasionally. A two bath system has anywhere from four to ten times the capacity for complete fixing as a single bath so its an ecomomy as well as good insurance. The residual silver test is simply a solution of dilute sodium sulfide (not sulfite) or, alternatively a 1:9 dilution of Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner can be used. A drop or two is placed on a clear area of the film or paper while it is still wet and allowed to stand for about two minutes and blot off. This will tone any remaining halide was well as it tones silver so it will leave a yellow or brown stain if there is incomplete fixing. For paper its a good idea to fix out a scrap of paper along with your prints and test on that because the test will produce a stain with time even if the emulsion has been completely fixed. Since negatives usually have a clear border around the image you can test there, where a stain won't show, and not have to fix a film scrap. If the test is positive the prints or film should be re-fixed in fresh fixer. This must be done quite soon after the original processing since the nature of the fixer reaction products changes with time. After about two weeks it is no longer removable by re-fixing. For film or fiber base paper the use of a sulfite wash aid, like Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent, will extend fixer capacity even more since it is capable of debonding some otherwise insoluble reaction products. However, RC paper, with its thin emulsion and non-absorptive substrate and support, will wash out so fast that the use of wash aid is not necessary unless you find you have toning problems.

---