[pure-silver] Re: fence row project negatives

  • From: Bob Adler <rgacpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 13:40:55 -0700 (PDT)

Well, I agree and disagree.

  I agree the scans aren't perfect (whose are?). What I disagree about is it
looks like the negatives have very little contrast, and no amount of playing
with the scanning or PS parameters is going to change that.

  The fact that the histogram is "all bunched up at one end" seems to suggest
that all your negative's data is bunched up; i.e., no contrast in the negative.
Probably because there was little contrast in the scene (except between the
vegetation of the scene and the sky).

  You could of course boost the contrast in the vegetative part of the scene by
shooting and developing at +2 (doesn't look like +1 would cut it here; I'm not
even sure +2 could give you what you previsualized). Zone system is great for
stuff like this; lots of fun and fun results.

  Bottom line; low contrast negative, low contrast scan, low contrast
everything...

  IMHO,
  Bob

"Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  "Shannon Stoney"
>I scanned the flat negatives and put them on my flickr site:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/shannonstoney/
> I didn't do anything to them to "fix" them in photoshop. These are
> just straight scans.

To begin ... the scans are bad. You don't have information
in the scan for the vegetation, it's all driven out by setting
the white point to the sky.

Scan only for the vegetation in the foreground. Set the
white point to the lightest highlight in the veg. and the
black for the blackest shadow (or to the unexposed film).

Let the sky and the far trees go where ever they go, don't
try and keep them.

Now go into PS and play with curves to get the image you want.
This will give you an idea of what you will need to do in the
darkroom.

Do the same for the sky and trees: scan for and adjust just for
this part of the image - this will give you and idea of the burn
and required burn contrast for that part of the image.

Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
Cleveland, Ohio 44121

Bob Adler