[pure-silver] Re: enlarging lenses

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:08:07 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shannon Stoney" <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 5:37 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] enlarging lenses

>I am looking at some enlarging lenses for 8x10, used.  They
>are 240mm
> lenses.  Both are Schneider lenses, but one is a
> Componon-S and one
> is just plain Componon. What is the difference (besides
> $300)?
>
> --shannon

   Age. The S version is newer. I have both old (chrome
barrel) and later S version Componons. The S version is a
better lens although the earlier version is quite
respectible being the best available when it was made.
   If you are not able to examine these lenses before
purchasing them get a solid right of return. Condition is
everything. Do not accept a lens with _any_ damage to the
glass or any sign of external mechanical damage. Shine a
flashlight through the lens and also across the outside
elements. This will show up haze, paint flakes, separating
elements, scratches, etc., which might otherwise be hard to
see.

---