[pure-silver] Re: developers and grain

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:01:25 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 6:58 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] developers and grain

Speaking of grain... is there any perceptible difference between DDX and D-76 when it comes to grain?

(Somebody suggested that I switch to Tri-X. It was my roll film for years, but I did a side by side comparison of it with HP5+ and HP5+ won, when it comes to grain, although the difference was slight.)

--shannon

I think you will have to test. If I understand what DDX is its probably about the same as D-76 with slightly higher film speed. The current version of Tri-X is supposed to have noticably finer grain than the film of a few years ago. Its worth testing again but I suspect both films are similar. 400T-Max will give you finer grain but will look a bit different. If you want finer grain and can give up a stop of speed use 400T-Max in Microdol-X or Perceptol full strength. The combinationi should give you very fine grain with an exposure index of about 200.

---