[pure-silver] William Mortensen's Local Negaive Reducer

  • From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:35:59 -0600

Here's another of Mortensen's formulas:

For local bleaching of negatives:

Water: 1oz.
Potasium Permanganate 1 gr.
Sulfuric acid   2 drops

Directions: "When the negative was developed and dried, it was subjected
to local reduction with permanganate. The negative was laid
emulsion-side up on an illuminated ground glass and the reducer solution
was carefully applied ...with a No.2 sable brush.  The reduction of the
emulsion is complete when the permanganate turns reddish-brown. Immerse
the negative in hypo until cleared, then wash and dry as usual."

Btw. I'm calling these forumlas "Mortensens's" because he used them. I
doubt that he developed them.

-Peter De Smidt