[pure-silver] Re: Was Ilford -- Sulfide toners?

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 00:01:16 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Philippe Gauthier <pgauth@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Oct 25, 2005 9:28 PM
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Was Ilford -- Sulfide toners?

Eric Neilsen Photography a �crit :

>I was told that myth years ago and never challenged it, but selenium prints
>do bleach and tone in a sulfide toner.  You can tone in either order but the
>colors will be different and the cross toning will be different.

Quite frankly, I tried to bleach a selenium toned print some time ago
and I never succeeded. Perhaps I was using the Kodak stuff at the time
(I now use a much more powerful soup with 40g of ferricyanide per liter)
I don't remember. But I wonder how a silver selenide molecule can revert
to silver salt in ferricyanide and then be turned in silver sulfide in
sepia bath. It must work only with prints partly toned in weak selenium
solutions, where a lot of metallic silver atoms are still available.

PG

   I think this depends on how throroughly the print is toned. If its
completely toned, i.e., no metallic silver left and no silver halide left, it
should not bleach.