[pure-silver] Re: Warmtone developer

  • From: Steve <gl1500@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 10:37:59 +1030

titrisol wrote:
Not 100% sure but if you use KOH you could also use Sodium
Carbonate.  Correct for the difference in Molecular weight and
presto!

--- Steve <gl1500@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have wanted to try the Agfa 120 formula for quite some time
but don't have all the ingredients -- so -- experiment,

I only made a 250ml batch as I didn't want to waste chemistry.

The main ingredient I was missing was the Potassium Carbonate.

Water 200ml

15gms Sodium Sulphite
6gms Hydroquinone
6gms Potassium Hydroxide

[Read up on safety issues when handling Hydroxides]

***** Gloves and eye protection are sensible.
.5gm Potassium Bromide

Water to make up to 250ml

Use at 1:4 for warm brown black.

Exposure will be about double.

I don't know the keeping life of the chemistry.

I was very pleased with the results using Ilford MG FB.

Steve

____________________________________________________________________________________ Get your own web address. Have a HUGE year through Yahoo! Small Business.

The Potassium Hydroxide works a treat and seems to provide the Potassium content needed for the warmer tone. I kept the mixed developer [1:4] in a part filled bottle and reused it 24 hours later and there is no visual difference. I will repeat the use in another 24 hours and see what happens.

Sodium carbonate has been suggested but the original Agfa formula calls for Potassium salts. Most likely for a very valid reason.