[pure-silver] Waltz Me Around Again Louis....

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:27:52 +0800

Dear Friends,

     I note with great pleasure on this and other lists the imminent demise of
Kodak, Ilford, Agfa, Fuji, Forte, and Sam's Quickee Photo Mart in downtown
Meekatharra. Presumably they will either implode, explode, or immigrate to Fu
Nan province. Rochester, Leverkusen, and wherever in the UK they used to
actually work for a living will presumably become deserted smoking ruins. All
photographic equipment using 35mm, 120, APS, and other roll film will be seized
by the government and destroyed - probably large bonfires in front of the
digital photo shops.

     This is a great relief, as it will clear the way for us to begin again.
Unfortunately for the digital czars they have forgotten to search out all the
old photo texts and historical papers. It is too late to prevent people from
getting the knowledge of how to do daguerreotypes or ambrotypes or calotypes or
ferrotypes and unless they can manage to ensure the extinction of the chicken,
albumen printing paper will always be possible for the dedicated enthusiasts.

    Those of us who have preserved or secured our 10 x 12 , 8 x 10, 5 x 7 and 4
x 5 cameras and an adequate supply of holders will retreat to the sure fortress
of our art and bid defiance to the pixelizers. What they do in an instant with
a patent program and no pride save that of a button pressed well or poorly we
will do with hours of patient toil in the darkroom. We will be first hampered
and then exhilarated by the freedom from success that we achieve. Softness will
return to the portraits, as well as to the adoring eyes of the models - of
course this same softness will also extend to sports cars, real estate, and
historical events. We need never again care whether anyone wins a race or a
game as we can't stop it in mid-action anyway, and if it cannot be
photographed, it does not exist.

    I shall run to earth the last few vestiges of conventional paper and film
here in Perth and use it all up. Shouldn't take more than a few years and by
that time all you out there will have done the same in your cities. Whatever
you do, don't offer the manufacturers money for their products lest they start
up the factories again. We don't want to go through all that again,
particularly Ferraniacolor....

     Uncle Dick