[pure-silver] Re: WAS: 620 film, NOW: Medalist 120 Conversion

  • From: Robert Marvin <marvbej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 07:23:19 -0700

Yes, its pretty costly--$280 for the conversion plus another $100 for
the shutter overhaul. Some might think this foolish as a Medalist II is
only worth about $200, but from a functional viewpoint it was well
worth the cost IMO.

The Medalist II is a superb camera. Its very small for the 2-1/4 X
3-1/4 negative size and has one of the best lenses ever made for a
medium format camera. I was using mine less and less because respooling
120 film onto 620 spools, although easy, was a PITA. Nevertheless I
waited until the camera needed a CLA (the interlock that prevented
releasing the shutter with the lens retracted started to get stuck).

The shutter overhaul included removing the delay mechanism for F and M
flashbulbs and resulted in a MUCH smoother shutter release.

Bob Marvin