[pure-silver] Re: VC printing equipment Was: Replacement for Bromofort paper;

  • From: "Dave Valvo" <dvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:12:14 -0800

J.R.
I have been on this band wagon before touting the bad features of the Thomas
safelight.  Others have claimed they have no problems with it.  Issue with
the safelight is NOT fog but rather contrast changes.  I got burned (I don't
mean to my body) a number of years back with a Thomas and have since tossed
it out.  Dirty looking prints caused by pre-latentsification.  Not worth
wasting my time and costing me a lot of paper.  I can work very well in dark
conditions and don't need to read a newspaper in my darkroom.  Recommend you
get a copy of "How safe is my safelight" from Kodak or they may have it on
their website.  Or read Ralph W. Lambrecht's book "Why Beyond Monochrome"
for a method. Then run the test procedure religiously. Don't get led into a
false sense of security by running the old quarter fog test. Even following
the safelight test with the Thomas properly the results will be different
for every kind of paper you use.  Or dump the Thomas, get real safelights
and run the test once.  If you absolutely refuse to dump the Thomas, weld
the vanes shut!

I seem to recall 80CCY and 40CCG will bring a cold light head to std white
light.  Can't find my notes right now.  Maybe someone else out there has
better memory.

All the Kodak VC papers are designed to be insensitive to developer.  That's
what makes them so robust and reproducible batch to batch.  What I mean is
as a developer gets exhausted the Kodak papers will continue to perform
well.  Unfortunately that means for those that like to pull a print early
will have reduced sensitivity.   Low contrast developers vs Dektol is a
different story.  The papers will respond well the them.  Photographers
should instead control exposure and contrast etc on the enlarger....not in
the developer.

Kodak Polymax Fine Art should have the lowest contrast available of any
fiber base paper sold today.   Best LER I was able to get on my Zone VI cold
light head was 1.65 which is like a contrast grade - .5.  Paper will go to
a -1.5 contrast (if there was such a thing) or LER or 2.00 on a Saunders
4500 or VCCE. I don't know of any other paper that will go that low in
contrast.  And that is in Dektol.  Selectol Soft is unknown.  Send me your
email address and ask for the chart I have with this paper on various
enlargers.

Dave