[pure-silver] Re: Use of Shutters in low light?

  • From: "richard l. gifford" <rlgif@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 14:37:50 -0600

Richard Knoppow wrote:

(snipped)

  ...For 8x10 you have to stop down so much for depth
of field that a
very simple shutter is enough. I have some barrel
lenses mounted
on boards with Packard shutters...These used to be
plentiful and
  cheap used but the supply has dried up...

I mounted a Packard permanently inside my 8x10, the
largest one that would physically fit.  One shutter can
thus be used with several copy lenses, and it can be
left open for use with a shuttered lens.  (Must be left
open in my case, so the lens will have a place to go).
  When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks
like a nail, and when your only tool is a lifetime of
mechanical design experience, everything looks like it
needs to be seen in Autocad.  This simplifies mounting
board considerations with multiple lens applications.
I had to find a huge Packard for my wide lens on my
11x14, and fortunately they come in many sizes.  They
aren't intimidating to open up for service.  They seem
to be plenty durable, and I understand the present
manufacturer will repair the originals.

regards..   Dick Gifford