[pure-silver] Re: Update On The Digital-Film War

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 17:16:42 -0700

Completely irrelevant. The FM after a call is when it is also the call of an AM station but I think legally the AM station does not put the AM after. However, it was common practice before the FCC decided that FM stations had to have independent programming from their AM counterparts.
Note that ships had four letter calls, I think many calls were duplicated as broadcast stations. At least at first ship stations were the reverse of land stations as far as K and W, K being those with East coast registration and W west coast. The very first commercial license issued by the Department of Commerce was to KDKA in Pittsburgh. It got a four letter K call because someone thought it was a ship. Westinghouse got four of the first dozen or so calls issued. KDKA, KYA (originally in Chicago but moved to Philadelphia), WBZ (Boston) and WJZ in New York, now WABC but Westinghouse applied WJZ to their Baltimore TV station after ABC changed the call. Musical chairs with calls.
    All ancient history.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx