[pure-silver] Re: Two things, 1) reversal chemistry, 2) Patrick gainers Vitamin C formulae

  • From: Karstwalker <karstwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 14:35:18 -0500

Re Reversal processing, see article on Unblinkingeye "An Investigation of Permanganate Bleach Re-Reversal by Harvey W. Yurow Ph.D."

"Midway" down the page under "Experimental" is this about the bleach bath:

"5. Bleach Bath - Potassium permanganate 2.0g/l and either
    sodium bisulfate 25g/l,
OR
    concentrated sulfuric acid 10cc/l as substitute."

On 2021-08-12 13:57, Laurence Cuffe (Redacted sender cuffe for DMARC) wrote:

The first Query, is that I want to try reversal processing. I have potassium permanganate, a little bichromate, but no access to Sulphuric Acid. I would have sulphite, and can get acetic, citric, or hydrochloric acid. I have read some online stuff about using using hydrogen peroxide, as a bleaching agent, any ideas. Ideally I’d like a bleach which I can use for both prints and films, with some keeping power.
The second question relates to Patric Gainers Vitamin C formulae, as reported on unblinking eye. https://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/VitC/vitc.html
I’m wondering what, if any experience people have had with these or similar formulae. I’m running low on developing agents, and these seem to promote a very economical approach.
All the best
Laurence Cuffe